Martin Griffiths, the United Nations special envoy for Yemen, revealed in an interview he has overcome a hurdle that doomed a previous attempt to bring the different factions together.
He told Sky News he secured an agreement for a delegation of Houthi rebels to attend a meeting in Sweden without fear of being prevented from returning to Yemen by a coalition – led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates – they are fighting.
Concern over travel had been a factor stopping the Houthis from taking part in talks in Geneva in September.
The envoy, who is due to address the United Nations Security Council in New York on Friday about the crisis in Yemen, said he believes it is possible to find a political solution to the near-four-year civil war that has killed thousands and created the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
Children are in particular danger, malnourished and threatened by disease.
But Mr Griffiths warned that a failure to seize this opportunity would lead to even greater disaster, with the potential of famine, as well as increased regional unrest and a growing threat from terrorist groups in Yemen such as al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
You can read the full article on Sky News here