Yemen’s foreign minister has submitted his resignation as differences emerge within the Saudi-backed government over the handling of a U.N.-led peace initiative in the main port city of Hodeida, two ministry sources said Monday.
Khaled al-Yamani, who took over the post in May 2018, said he would step down after some officials in the government of Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi faulted him for not criticizing United Nations special envoy Martin Griffiths’ performance.
The resignation needs to be accepted by Hadi, who last month complained in a letter to the U.N. secretary-general that Griffiths was “legitimizing” the Houthi movement locked in a four-year-old war with an Arab coalition loyal to the president.
“He [Yamani] was expecting to be dismissed and so he submitted his resignation before that happens,” one source said.
Yamani could not immediately be reached for comment.
In his letter to Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Hadi said Griffiths had failed to properly oversee the agreement for a ceasefire and troop withdrawal in Hodeida, which became the focus of the war last year when the coalition tried to seize the Houthi-held Red Sea port.
The pact reached in December, the first significant breakthrough in peacemaking in over four years, had stalled for months until the Iran-backed Houthis, who ousted Hadi from power in the capital Sanaa in late 2014, last month quit three ports in Hodeida in a unilateral move.
The coalition has yet to verify the withdrawal or meet it by pulling back its own forces massed on the edges of Hodeida ahead of a wider redeployment by both sides in a second phase.
You can read the full article at The Daily Star Lebanon here.