A landmine explosion struck a civilian vehicle in the Red Sea port city of of Hodeidah on Monday, killing a Yemeni citizen and injuring three others, a government official told Xinhua.
The landmine explosion occurred in Qatabah area in the district of Khokha, destroying the civilian vehicle and killing at least one citizen in addition to injuring three others at the scene, said the government source who asked to remain anonymous.
“The civilians were on their way to their residential area and passed through a nearby sub-route that is not completely cleaned from landmines laid by the Houthi militias,” the source said.
He added that “the Houthi rebels placed many landmines in that area during the previous armed confrontations with pro-government forces and civilians are now the victims.”
The injured civilians were transferred to receive treatment to a field hospital managed by the pro-government forces in Khokha district, located in Hodeidah’s western part, according to the official.
On Saturday, a Yemeni army commander along with four of his bodyguards were killed during an explosion that targeted their military vehicle in the northern part of Khokha district in Hodeidah.
Several government soldiers and civilians have been targeted by improvised explosive devices that were left by the Houthi rebels following months of fighting with the pro-government Yemeni forces in Hodeidah.
In recent weeks, armed confrontations between the pro-government forces and the Houthi rebels continued in escalation despite the cease-fire brokered by the United Nations during Stockholm’s peace talks last year.
The Iran-allied Houthi rebels control the city while the Saudi-backed government troops have advanced to the southeastern outskirts.
You can read the full article at Xinhua Net here.